Helping developers write the script of the future.
Building communities where everyone who codes can learn and share their knowledge.
Connecting developers with companies to help them find the right job, product, or service.
Founded in 2008, Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for anyone that codes to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million unique visitors come to Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Stack Overflow partners with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, advertising, technical recruiting, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Learn more about our business solutions here.
Stack Overflow Company Timeline
- Joel Spolsky, then CEO of Fog Creek Software and author of the widely read blog, Joel on Software, called Jeff Atwood, also well-known for his popular Coding Horror blog, with the idea to start a Q&A site
- Joel Spolsky and Jeff Atwood launch Stack Overflow
- Series A $6M led by Union Square Ventures
- Stack Exchange Network launches, bringing Stack Overflow style Q&A to new topics (currently 133)
- Stack Overflow Careers launches (now named Stack Overflow Talent)
- Series B $12M led by Index Ventures with participation from Spark Capital and Union Square Ventures
- Stack Overflow Careers launches its first localized site for German speakers (joined by French a year later)
- Series C $10M led by Bezos Expeditions
- Stack Exchange shipped native Android and iOS mobile apps
- Stack Overflow launches localized sites in Portuguese and Japanese
- Series D $40M led by Andreessen Horowitz with participation from Index Ventures, Spark Capital, and Union Square Ventures
- Stack Overflow Enterprise launches, giving companies with large developer teams access to a secure, private instance of Stack Overflow for Q&A.
- Stack Overflow for Teams joins Enterprise as a private Q&A solution for development teams of any size. Less than six months post-launch, Teams is used by over 1,000 small companies and start-ups.
- Welcome Wagon launches, as our data scientists, developers, long-term community managers, and UX specialists evolve our Code of Conduct, commenting, and other features to make the site more welcoming, diverse, and inclusive.
- A Business tier joins the Basic and Enterprise tiers of Stack Overflow for Teams to offer private Q&A with secure single sign-on and other premium features to companies.
- Prashanth Chandrasekar joins Stack Overflow as its Chief Executive Officer.
By the Numbers
Stack Overflow Offices
Stack Overflow currently employs more than 250 people in its head offices in New York, London and Munich as well as remote workers from Israel, Brazil, Japan, Germany, Slovenia, Spain, Poland, France, Russia, Canada, the UK, and the United States. The company is committed to diversity in the workplace and is currently hiring.